When it comes to the longevity and appearance of your eyelash extensions, several environmental factors can influence them. One such variable, often overlooked, is humidity. The moisture content in the air can potentially alter the adhesive used for eyelash extensions and impact their overall lifespan and aesthetic.
This blog post delves into the complex relationship between humidity and eyelash extensions, providing insights that could help you maintain your fabulous flutter for longer. Read on to learn how to keep your lash game strong, regardless of the weather forecast.
What Is Humidity and How Does It Affect Eyelash Extensions
Humidity refers to the amount of water vapour in the air. High humidity levels can interfere with the curing process of the eyelash extension glue, potentially leading to premature fallout or a weaker bond.
Conversely, low humidity can cause the adhesive to dry too quickly before a proper bond is formed. Here's a breakdown of how different humidity levels can affect your eyelash extensions:
- High Humidity (>60% RH): The adhesive can cure too quickly, leading to clumpy extensions and a weaker bond. The extensions may fall out prematurely.
- Optimal Humidity (40-60% RH): This provides the ideal environment for the adhesive to cure properly, resulting in strong, smooth bonds and long-lasting extensions.
- Low Humidity (<40% RH): The adhesive may dry too slowly or not at all, leading to a weak bond and resulting in extensions that don't last as long.
Humidity control is essential in ensuring the longevity and aesthetic appeal of your eyelash extensions.
The Benefits of Low Humidity for Eyelash Extensions
- Fewer Clumps: Because the adhesive does not cure as quickly, technicians have more time to isolate single lashes and apply the extensions properly. The slower drying time reduces the risk of adhesive clumping.
- Less Irritation: The adhesive fumes are less intense in low humidity environments which can reduce discomfort and irritation during and after the lash extension application.
- Flexible Booking Times: Unlike high humidity conditions that can vary throughout the day, low humidity is typically consistent. This means you can schedule your appointment at any time without worrying about the humidity level affecting the outcome of your lash extensions.
- Longer Application Window: The slower curing time of the adhesive in low humidity conditions allows for a longer application window, ensuring a more thorough and precise lash application.
What Can Be Done to Protect from High Humidity in the Environment
Controlling the humidity in your environment can significantly improve the lifespan and quality of your eyelash extensions. Here are some practical steps to manage high humidity levels:
- Use a Dehumidifier: Implementing a dehumidifier in your environment can reduce moisture content, helping to provide an ideal setting for eyelash extension application and maintenance.
- Adjust Your Schedule: Avoid getting your lashes done on exceptionally humid days, if possible. Alternatively, opt for early morning appointments when humidity levels are typically lower.
- Choose the Right Adhesive: Some adhesives are formulated to work best in high humidity conditions. Talk to your lash technician about using one of these products if you live in a humid climate.
- Aftercare is Key: Use a sealant to protect your lashes from high humidity. This product adds a layer of protection to the adhesive, helping to maintain the bond and prevent premature fallout.
Remember, managing humidity is an essential part of retaining your fabulous lash extensions, regardless of the weather.
The Impact of Changes in Humidity on Eyelash Extension Longevity
- Sudden Changes in Humidity: Rapid shifts in humidity can negatively affect the adhesive bonding of your eyelash extensions. For instance, transitioning from a dry indoor environment to a humid outdoor setting can lead to premature fallout.
- Seasonal Changes: The change of seasons, especially from winter to summer, often brings a significant increase in humidity. This sudden increase can weaken the bond of your extensions, leading to a shorter lifespan.
- Travelling: If you travel to a location with a different humidity level, your extensions may be affected. For instance, going from a dry climate to a tropical destination could compromise the integrity of your lash extensions.
- Frequent Changes: Frequently moving between different humidity environments can disrupt the curing process of the adhesive, causing your extensions to fall out sooner than expected.
Tips to Keep Your Eyelash Extensions Looking Great Despite the Weather Conditions
- Maintain a Regular Care Routine: Regardless of the humidity level, ensure to cleanse and brush your eyelash extensions regularly. This keeps them looking fresh and prevents any debris or oils from weakening the adhesive.
- Invest in a Quality Sealant: A good sealant can protect your extensions from both high and low humidity levels. It forms a barrier over the adhesive, preventing it from interacting with the air's moisture content.
- Get Regular Touch-Ups: Schedule regular appointments with your lash technician to replace any fallen or loose extensions. This keeps your lash set looking full and beautiful, irrespective of the weather conditions.
- Avoid Exposing Extensions to Water for 24 Hours Post-Application: Giving the adhesive ample time to cure after your appointment can strengthen the bond, making your extensions more resilient against varying humidity levels.
- Use Oil-Free Products: Oil-free makeup and skincare products will help maintain the integrity of the adhesive, allowing your lash extensions to endure different weather conditions. Remember, even the best adhesive can break down with the use of oil-based products.
In conclusion, learning how humidity affects eyelash extensions is important for achieving the desired look and length of extension. As we have explored, high humidity can cause excess moisture buildup, leading to a wide range of issues with your extensions - potentially even damaging them. It's best to try to keep your environment as low-moisture as possible to ensure your lashes are kept healthy and beautiful.
Additionally, if you know that there is going to be an instance of higher humidity for longer periods, such as during summer months, it’s good practice to use high-quality serum or products with optimal moisturizing capabilities so that your lashes retain their body and suppleness. Taking the necessary precautions will help protect your eyelash extensions against the damages brought forth by changes in the weather or environmental conditions.
So don’t let this ever be a concern – with careful research and regular maintenance, you can have gorgeous yet healthy lash extensions no matter the temperature!
About Bondi Lash Lab
At Bondi Lash Lab, we offer products that help you achieve salon-like results at home. We work closely with Australia's best natural research labs to develop products backed by solid science and a focus on natural ingredients. We also deliver grooming services with professional results in the comfort of your own home. For more information, send an email to email@example.com or fill out our contact form.