If you're considering eyelash extensions and wondering if you can still wear mascara, we have great news for you!
It's absolutely possible! Eyelash extensions provide that extra touch of drama and length to your natural lashes, without the hassle of applying fake ones. But before you reach for your mascara, let's address the all-important question: Is it safe?
To provide you with expert insights and useful tips on wearing mascara with lash extensions, we've delved into a comprehensive guide. Keep reading for all the details!
What Are Eyelash Extensions and Why Are They Popular?
Eyelash extensions are semi-permanent fibres that are applied to your natural lashes using medical-grade adhesives, to enhance the length, curliness, fullness, and thickness of your natural eyelashes.
They come in various materials, including synthetic, mink, or silk, and lengths to suit different preferences. These extensions have become increasingly popular due to their ability to transform your look instantly, making your eyes appear larger and more defined.
They save you from the daily routine of applying and removing mascara and give a more enhanced effect than mascara alone could provide. For many, they're a beauty game-changer, providing the added convenience and glamorous look that's ready as soon as you wake up!
How to Apply Mascara to Eyelash Extensions?
If you choose to apply mascara to your eyelash extensions, it's important to do so carefully to avoid damaging your extensions. Here are some steps to guide you:
- Choose a mascara that is oil-free and specifically formulated for lash extensions. Oil-based products can break down the adhesive and cause your extensions to fall out prematurely.
- Use a clean mascara brush. Old brushes can carry bacteria and also cause clumping of the product, which is not ideal for extensions.
- Apply the mascara from the middle to the ends of your lashes. Avoid applying it at the base or root, as this is where the glue is, and you don't want to weaken the bond.
- Apply the mascara in thin coats. It's better to apply multiple thin coats than one thick one, as this will keep your lashes from clumping together.
- Avoid rubbing or tugging at your lashes when removing mascara. Use a gentle, oil-free makeup remover and lightly sweep it over your lashes.
Remember, while mascara can be used with extensions, it's not always necessary. Eyelash extensions are designed to give you that mascara effect without the need for application. So, use mascara only if you desire an extra dramatic look!
Which Types of Mascara Work Best with Eyelash Extensions?
Choosing the right type of mascara is crucial when you have eyelash extensions. Firstly, it's essential to choose a water-based mascara, as oil-based or waterproof mascaras can damage the bond between your natural lashes and the extensions, causing them to fall out prematurely.
Secondly, fibre-free mascara is preferable. Mascara that contains fibres can cause buildup and clumping on your extensions. These fibres can also become lodged at the base of your lashes, making them difficult to remove without pulling on and damaging your extensions.
Lastly, consider choosing a mascara with a thin wand. It will help you apply the product more easily and reach all of your lashes, including those tiny ones in the corners. A thin wand also allows for more precise application, which can help prevent the product from getting onto the adhesive and weakening the bond.
Remember, while it's possible to use mascara with your extensions, it's not always necessary. If you take care of your extensions and get regular touch-ups, you may find that you don't need mascara at all. Always follow your lash technician's advice for the best results.
Is it Safe to Use Mascara on Eyelash Extensions?
Yes, it is generally safe to use mascara on eyelash extensions, provided you choose the right product and apply it carefully. However, it's important to remember that not all mascaras are suitable for use with lash extensions. As mentioned earlier, you should choose a water-based and fibre-free mascara to avoid damaging the extensions or causing them to fall out prematurely.
Nevertheless, excessive use of mascara on eyelash extensions can potentially lead to the breakdown of the adhesive, causing the extensions to become loose or fall out. Furthermore, rough removal of mascara can be harmful as it may pull on the extensions and cause them to come off prematurely.
To ensure the longevity and health of your extensions, it is advisable to limit the use of mascara and always follow the product application and removal instructions and any advice provided by your lash technician.
Remember, the purpose of eyelash extensions is to eliminate or reduce the need for mascara, while still giving your lashes a fuller, more dramatic look.
Tips for Safely Applying Mascara to Lash Extensions
When applying mascara to your lash extensions, here are some tips to ensure you do it safely and preserve the longevity of your extensions:
- Always Use the Right Mascara: Ensure your mascara is water-based, oil-free, and fibre-free to prevent damage to your extensions and their adhesive.
- Clean Application: Always start with a clean mascara brush to avoid clumping and potential infections from bacteria build-up.
- Avoid the Roots: Do not apply mascara at the base or root of your lashes. This is where the adhesive is, and you want to avoid weakening the bond.
- Thin Coats: Avoid clumping by applying thin coats of mascara. It's better to have multiple thin coats than one thick one.
- Removal: When removing the mascara, be gentle. Use an oil-free makeup remover and lightly sweep it over your lashes—avoid rubbing or tugging at your lashes.
- Regular Clean-up: Ensure you clean your lash extensions regularly to avoid build-up of mascara that could potentially weaken the adhesive and lead to fallouts.
- Follow Lash Technician's Advice: Always follow the advice of your lash technician, they know what’s best for your extensions!
Remember, while it's safe to apply mascara on your lash extensions, doing so is usually not necessary. The main charm of eyelash extensions is to give you that desired 'mascara' look without the need for daily application. However, if you want an extra dramatic look, these tips should help you apply and remove mascara safely from your lash extensions.
Alternatives to Using Mascara on Eyelash Extensions
If you're seeking alternatives to using mascara on your eyelash extensions, consider the following options:
- Eyelash Tinting: Eyelash tinting is a process that dyes your natural lashes to a darker shade, giving them a mascara-like effect without the need for daily application. It can be a great option if you're looking to enhance the visibility and definition of your lashes.
- Eyelash Serum: Eyelash serums can help to nourish and strengthen your natural lashes, promoting healthier and fuller lashes over time. Some serums may even stimulate lash growth, which could reduce the need for extensions altogether.
- Lash Lift: A lash lift is a semi-permanent treatment that gives your natural lashes an illusion of perfectly curled lashes with added definition. It is a great alternative to eyelash extensions, as it requires less maintenance and gives a more natural result.
- Volume Extensions: If the reason you're reaching for mascara is to add volume, consider opting for volume extensions next time you get a fill. Volume extensions involve applying multiple fine extensions to one single lash. The result is a fuller, fluffier look.
Remember, the key is to consider what works best for your lifestyle, budget, and desired look. Always consult a professional to discuss the best options for your individual needs.
eyelash extensions are the perfect choice for achieving a glamorous eye look. Whether you’re just starting with eyelash extensions or have been wearing them for years, it is essential to understand what mascaras work best on them and how to apply them safely.
Applying too much mascara can cause clumping and leave residue buildup that can be tedious to remove. Remember, the best way to minimise the risk of damaging your lashes is to avoid using mascara altogether or consider other alternatives like tinting and perming.
To ensure healthy lash extensions, it is best to rely on professional advice from your stylist or esthetician when applying mascara to eyelash extensions. If you take care not to overdo it and keep up with regular maintenance appointments, then your gorgeous eyelashes will last even longer! Now go get those beautiful lashes on fleek!